I recently found 11+ different translations of mine on various Live Journal and Windows Live blog sites, which I found when searching for my name, Erick Sherab Zangpo, under the Blog search option on Google. They are distorted, strange, avante-garde, sarcastic, mostly nonsensical creations, based on my translations.
Some of it seems to be spin-offs or re-interpretations, as if they were actually trying to fit the meaning into a slightly different understanding; some of it seems like a parody of my translations, in a ridiculous dadaistic way; much of it is bad English; and most of it is fairly nonsensical. Some if it seems to be a deliberate attempt to make my translations seem wrong. It’s hard to understand why these works were created.
However the worst part is that my name was left on them, although it was changed from “translated by Erick Sherab Zangpo” to “interpreted” or “rendered” by Erick Sherab Zangpo. There is no explanation of what the intent of these creations is or who did them, and so it is being presented falsely as my work.
What is of most concern to me, even beyond my name being attached to them, is that they are desecrations of Buddhist scriptures. I have never seen anything like this before. The worst aspect of this is that they are being presented as legitimate translations, not parodies or creative works, so it could potentially be misleading to some people. They all still list the original authors, such as Mipham Rinpoche, Tsongkhapa, Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, etc. This kind of thing is really sad.
All things told, it seems like someone trying to discredit me, in some very experimental and calculated fashion.
I am trying to address the issue, and have most of them removed. However, for as long as there are still these fake translations, I will have to leave this post on the front of this website.
In light of this, and the previous abuse by Lillian Too, I have been considering removing this website. I think that perhaps it is too early in my studies to be presenting myself so publically. It would seem that some people are acting jealously (easy to perceive it this way at least) and are deliberately taking advantage of me, to the point of outright exploitation (Lillian Too) or outrightly trying to give me a bad name (whoever the creator of these works is).
I was not paid for most of the works on this site, and I only put them up here because I thought they would be of benefit to others. I have translated some things that I think could really help people. However, I am currently having doubts as to whether this is the right approach or not. In particular, I think that perhaps it might be better, for a variety of reasons, if I were to have a site like this a little later in my translator career, when I am more established and people are less likely to take advantage.
If you have any thought about this, please feel free to share.
In the meantime, if you see any translations that look pretty crazy and funky, with random and nonsensical insertions, and which say “rendered” or “interpreted” by me, then know that they are not mine.
The following is a list of the fake translations:
- ‘Profound Directions on the Position of the Heart Style’, a corrupted version of Mipham Rinpoche’s ‘Profound Instructions on the View of the Middle Way’
- ‘The Supplication for the Phases of the Way (The Lamrim Supplication)’, a corrupted version of Lama Tsongkhapa’s ‘The Prayer for the Stages of the Path (The Lamrim Prayer)’
- ‘The Strain of Deathless Achievement: A Supplication for the Exalted Feet of the Gurus to Stand by Mi’, a corrupted version of Mipham Rinpoche’s ‘The Melody of Deathless Accomplishment: A Prayer for the Exalted Feet of the Gurus to Remain Firm’
- ‘Prajnaparamita in a Bingle Missive: The Far-Reaching Flawlessness of Sublime Knowing in a Bingle Missive, The Mother of All Those Gone to Thusness’, a corrupted version of ‘Prajnaparamita in a Single Letter: The Far-Reaching Perfection of Sublime Knowing in a Single Letter, The Mother of All Those Gone to Thusness’
- a corrupted version of ‘The Sutra Arranged Like a Tree Dharani’, with the same title as the original
- ‘The Dharani for Achieving the Ten Far-Reaching Flawlessnesses’, a corrupted version of ‘The Dharani for Attaining the Ten Far-Reaching Perfections’
- a corrupted version of ‘Gelongma Palmo ‘s Tara Supplication (with Tibetan book and PDF file)’, with the same title as the original
- ‘The Rex of Samadhi Sutra Dharani’, a corrupted version of ‘The King of Samadhi Sutra Dharani’
- ‘The Stableness of the Exalted Feet of the Guru’, a corrupted version of Jamyang Khyentse Chokyi Lodro’s ‘The Stability of the Exalted Feet of the Guru’
- ‘The Dharanis for Reaching the Quaternary Immeasurables’, a corrupted version of ‘The Dharanis for Attaining the Four Immeasurables’
- ‘The Bodhisattva’s Gem Rosary’, a corrupted version of Atisha’s ‘The Bodhisattva’s Jewel Rosary’
Leave a Reply